Bourne Steel were appointed to re-erect 3 former gas holder frames within the 67-acre redevelopment site at Kings Cross.
These gasholder frames date back to around 1860-1880 and consist of cast iron columns with wrought iron trusses. The columns were dismantled and specially restored (by others) to then be re-erected as part of the planning requirement for the Kings Cross development. They are now used as an independently standing feature structure built around three new circular residential blocks that contain 144 apartments, a gym and spa, roof top garden and screening room.
The re-erection was made more complex as the residential buildings were constructed first, so the original dismantle column support frames could not be used to re-install the columns.
Due to the fragility of the cast iron, specialist pivot frames were developed to move each column from a horizontal transport position to the vertical position for installation. These pivot frames allowed for adaption to the varying columns lengths and diameters of each column.