Built in the 1920’s and formerly known as The Communications Building, this is a major redevelopment of the structure occupying the entire west side of the Square and is thought to be the largest retained façade in Europe.
The new structure includes high end retail units at ground & basement floor levels together with premium dining space and seven floors of commercial office space.
Bourne erected the steel frame, including floor decking and intumescent paint, from Basement -2 up to the 5th floor, which were behind the retained façade. Four levels of structure were then constructed with the outer columns raking to achieve the new contemporary bladed roof design.
Bottom right image courtesy of Make Architects and CORE.