Bourne Rail and Special Projects were awarded the Structural Steel package from Kier construction for the redevelopment of the Grade II listed Midland Goods Shed in the heart of King’s Cross, London.
The building started life in 1850 as a temporary passenger terminal while King’s Cross station was being built and was later converted to a goods shed. The East and West Canopies were added in 1888 to provide covered space for the transfer of potatoes, fish and other perishable goods from rail to horse and cart. This heritage of trade and food has been continued, through a conversion that now houses a Waitrose food hall and cookery school.
Bourne Rail and Special Project’s order of £920,000 from Kier consisted of replacing the existing roof, installing a mezzanine floor to the east canopy area and integrating new structures into the existing cast iron framework.